The passenger ship Potsdam
of the North German Lloyd line was originally used for passenger cruises to the far east, after the start of World War II it was used as barrack ship.
Being one of the three passenger ships scheduled for conversion to an aircraft carrier in 1942 (Project "Elbe"), it was planned to be modified at Hamburg's Blohm & Voss shipyard. Unlike the other two ships, the Potsdam project was not canceled in November of 1942, but because of its slow speed, the ship later should have been used as a training aircraft carrier.
On 02.02.1943 the modification was stopped and the Potsdam
was taken over by the British after the war. After another 30 years of service, both in Britain as Empire Fowes
and India as Safina-E-Hujjaj
, the former Potsdam
was scrapped in 1976.