When German invaded Belgium in 1940, several ships were captures on Belgium shipyard, one of them the fishery protection ships Artevelde
, its secondary task was to perform as a yacht for the Belgian king. Since the ship was close to its launch date, it was decided to complete the ship under the provisional name Lorelei
. After its launch on 28.08.1940 the ship was towed to the Netherlands where it was completed and commissioned on 25.03.1943. Until the end of the war, the now named K4
was used as a
convoy escort in the southern North sea.
In June of 1945 it was returned ot Belgium where it was used as a guarding ship until 1950. Used as a floating barrack for another four year, it was broken down in 1954/55.